|Home ~ LHS Board ~ LHS in the News ~ LHS Timeline ~ Past LHS Events ~ Join the LHS ~ Historic Lubbock|
THE W. D. BENSON HOUSE
Built in 1909 in the 1300 block of Avenue K, the house was constructed as a two-story colonial revival structure with arched gables, Victorian siding, diamond-paned windows, and an overall style that reflected the prominence of the Benson family. W.D. Benson and his family came to Lubbock in 1902 and Benson is said to be Lubbock’s first lawyer to have a law library, to employ a secretary, and to use a typewriter. He was the grandfather of Dan Benson, Professor Emeritus of the Texas Tech University Law School.
The home remained in downtown Lubbock until sometime in the late
1930s when it was moved to 2406 9th Street and was eventually
converted into apartments for Tech students.
~ excerpted from the LHS newsletter, Insite, Vol. 5 Issue 2, Winter 2005
The Latest on the W. D. Benson House
We are very gratified to announce that the W.D. Benson house has been saved and moved to a location just three blocks from its original site. It will become a part of the Lubbock Interfaith Hospitality Network, with the exterior retaining its original look and the interior designed to accommodate the needs of this very worthy organization.
OTHER LUBBOCK HISTORIC STRUCTURE SPOTLIGHTSW. D. Benson House
A. B. Davis House
St. Paul's-on-the-Plains Church
Texas Tech Dairy Barn
Back to the Historic Lubbock page
|Lubbock Heritage Society, P. O. Box 5443, Lubbock, Texas 79408 (806) 392.4949, LubbockHeritageSociety@gmail.com|