|Home ~ LHS Board ~ LHS in the News ~ LHS Timeline ~ Past LHS Events ~ Join the LHS ~ Historic Lubbock|
THE LANDWER-MANICAPELLI HOUSE
The Landwer-Manicapelli House in north Lubbock's Yellowhouse Canyon is a Spanish colonial style stucco structure. It was built by Texas Technological College zoology professor M. Frederic Landwer in 1936. It was purchased after WWII by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Manicapelli and was acquired by the city of Lubbock in 1972.
The City voted to repair in the structure in their October 2012 meeting. A brief history of the structure [PDF file] was written by Sarah Barwinkel of the City of Lubbock's Planning Dept. in 2009.
The Latest on the Landwer-Manicapelli House
At the City Council meeting in early September, 2013, Sam R. Harper, President and Director of Fiestas Del Llano, Inc., shared his thoughts on the property:
"The Landwer-Manicapelli House is part of the Fiesta plaza area and sits just north of the lake in Buddy Holly Park. This historic home built in 1936 is designated as a historic landmark and has a beautiful Spanish architecture with a red tile roof. The completion of this project can produce a beautiful and functional space that would serve the dual purpose of a Hispanic Cultural Center and a meeting space for the community.
There is ample parking at the site, room for expansion, and a beautiful lake side setting. This project would be a wonderful venue to serve Guadalupe, Jackson, and Arnett Benson neighborhoods as well as all of Lubbock. Art exhibits, Ballet Folklorico and theater performances, as well as educational lectures do not have a suitable North Lubbock home. The Landwer House could be that home and meet so many community needs.
This home has a wonderful historic link between Texas Tech and the North Lubbock communities and restoration could enhance that relationship now and for the future."
OTHER LUBBOCK HISTORIC STRUCTURE SPOTLIGHTSW. D. Benson House
A. B. Davis House
St. Paul's-on-the-Plains Church
Texas Tech Dairy Barn
Back to the Historic Lubbock page
|Lubbock Heritage Society, P. O. Box 5443, Lubbock, Texas 79408 (806) 392.4949, LubbockHeritageSociety@gmail.com|