|Home ~ LHS Board ~ LHS in the News ~ LHS Timeline ~ Past LHS Events ~ Join the LHS ~ Historic Lubbock|
TEXAS TECH DAIRY BARN
The Texas Tech Dairy Barn has not been included in the current draft of the Texas Tech University Masterplan. In 1991, the Texas Tech student body mobilized a fund-raising effort to save the Barn and succeeded in financing the stabilization of the structure. A listing in the National Register of Historic Places soon followed, and everyone seemed to think that the Dairy Barn had been preserved for posterity.
Six years later, the Dairy Barn has somehow mysteriously vanished from the landscaping and architectural plans now under consideration for the future of Texas Tech University.
The Dairy Barn is worth preserving in the very spot it has inhabited since the opening day of classes at Texas Technological College in September of 1925. Indeed, at that point in time, the Dairy Barn was so important to the educational curriculum of the new School of Agriculture it was built before classrooms.
W.L. “Runt” Stangel, Texas Tech’s first instructor in animal husbandry, worked directly with original campus architect Wyatt Hedrick of Fort Worth’s Sanguinet, Staats & Hendrick in designing and constructing a thoroughly modern barn to support a model dairy planned for the new college.
The Barn’s structural integrity and most of its distinctive architectural details have remained intact. With its conical-roofed silo, masonry walls, stuccoed exterior, gambrel-roofed two-story wing, gabeled-roof first-story wing, exposed rafters, and decorative brackets, the Texas Tech Dairy Barn is quintessentially contemporaneous bungalow style architecture – worthy of note in the National Register of Historic Places.
What the Dairy Barn represents educationally is perhaps even more significant. The structure stands as a dramatic symbol of rural resourcefulness and educational innovation.
Spare rooms in the Barn were used as housing for students who were able to bring and care for up to three dairy cows. For a year, the Student Dairy Association sold milk retail, ten in 1928 sold directly to the new Department of Dairy Manufactures, a department that had a significant impact on the economy of West Texas.
Through the vision and expertise of Dean Arthur Leidigh, W. L.
Stangel, and Kenneth M. Renner, Texas Tech served as the driving
force behind a thriving diary industry throughout the region. Donald
Green notes: “By 1930, Lubbock produced one-fourth of all the
butter manufactured in Texas and had 45 wholesale and retail
dairies… There were 291 ‘cream buying stations’ in the South
The Latest on the Texas Tech Dairy Barn
The Daily Toreador, the campus newspaper for Texas Tech University, ran an article titled "Students make plans to redesign Dairy Barn" on November 30, 2011.
The student design below includes examples of suggested hardscapes and plantings around the Dairy Barn should it be restored.
More information on this historical structure can be found the Texas Tech University Archives' blog site.
A new roof was placed on the barn in 2012.
OTHER LUBBOCK HISTORIC STRUCTURE SPOTLIGHTSW. D. Benson House
A. B. Davis House
St. Paul's-on-the-Plains Church
Texas Tech Dairy Barn
Back to the Historic Lubbock page
|Lubbock Heritage Society, P. O. Box 5443, Lubbock, Texas 79408 (806) 392.4949, LubbockHeritageSociety@gmail.com|