HERITAGE SOCIETY TIMELINE - 1979-1989
Since 1979, the LHS has been active in helping to preserve our local
heritage. Here are some of our events that took place in the 1980s:
May 21, 198 – The LHS sponsored a tour of the historic O'Neall Terrace
neighborhood in celebration of National Historic Preservation Week's
theme of Look Homeward America. The O'Neall Terrace neighborhood
is a microcosm of Lubbock's residential development, featuring a wide
variety of housing styles built over several decades. Six distinct
homes, built between 1929 and 1949, were opened for viewing for the tour
between 2-5 pm. The houses toured were 1901 29th street, 1902 29th
street, 1713 31st street, 1714 31st street, 1923 32nd street, and
1722 33rd street. The cost of the tour was $5 with the proceeds going
towards supporting the LHS's continued historic preservation efforts.
February 28, 1985 – The 6th annual
meeting of the LHS kicked off at 7:30 p.m. at the Special
Collections area on the third floor of the Texas Tech University
Library. Dr. Don Abbe and Dr. Joe King, both from the Center for the
History of Engineering and Technology at Texas Tech, gave a
presentation titled “Courthouses of West Texas.” Attendees also
viewed the nationally-acclaimed photographic exhibit, “Houses of
Justice: County Court.
November 22, 1985 – The annual Historic Home
Gala provided the opportunity for the premier showing of the
McMillian/Barton Home on 19th Street.
1985-1986 Board Members:
Paul Nash, President
Mary Kelly Crites, Treasurer
January 24, 1984 – the LHS Board
hosted a party in the home of Mrs. Georgea Fletcher to honor the
guarantors of the Mast/White House project. Each of the guarantors
signed notes to secure financing of the project while the house was
being renovated. At the party, each guarantor participated in the
ceremonial burning of the notes and was presented with a handsome
memento of the project.
February 21, 1984 – The fifth annual meeting of the LHS was held
at historic Lubbock High School at 7:30 p.m. and included a
multi-media presentation on “Lubbock’s Early Schools” which
focused on Lubbock High School. Tours of the building were also
given. LHS’s Excellence Award for 1983 was presented to Mayor
Allan Henry in recognition for his preservation of the
Jones/Hull/Grey House on 19th Street.
September 20, 1984 – The Dalby/Keeton/Pierce
home at 1902 29th Street was the featured home at LHS’s annual
Historic Home Gala fundraiser.
1984-1985 Board Members:
Kay Key, President
Benny Nixon, Vice-President
Dr. John Chalk, Secretary
Betty Morris, Treasurer
LHS began seeking local, state, and
national historic landmark designations for the Lubbock High School
Building on 19th Street. Contributions were
received for assisting the Society in obtaining the landmark
statuses and to help defray the costs of markers and other expenses
associated with the project.
February 8, 1983 – The 4th annual meeting of the LHS took place at
the Episcopal Diocese of Northwest Texas, formerly the Bacon Home.
During the program, the Society presented to Bishop Sam Hulsey its
Award of Merit for the Diocese’s careful restoration of the Bacon
Home. The program also included presentation by Maxine Blankenship,
chairperson of the city’s Jubilee 75 Committee, and Sally Abbe and
Toni Ireland, both of whom represented the City Planning Department.
The three reported on the proposed project to renovate the Broadway
Avenue area, including paving of the entire street with brick.
April 14-17, 1983 – The LHS shared a booth
with the Urban Design and Historic Preservation Commission of the
City of Lubbock at the annual Lubbock Arts Festival.
May 5, 1983 – The membership coffee was held in the historic home
of Mrs. Robert Fletcher (Georgea).
1983-1984 Board Members:
Beverly Stribling, President
Kay Key, Vice-President
Jay Matsler, Secretary
Donna Armstrong, Treasurer
March 9, 1982 – The 3rd annual meeting of the LHS kicked off at
7:00 p.m. with refreshments and a ribbon cutting ceremony at the
Mast-White House on Broadway and Avenue X. The business meeting
began at 8:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary Building of the First Baptist
Church. The Lubbock Junior League generously donated $10,000 towards
the restoration of the house and another $5,000 for the development
of a video program outlining this endeavor. The Society also held a
rummage sale to help raise funds.
May, 1982 – The Lubbock Council of Garden Clubs approved a $1,000
grant for landscaping the Mast-White House. Additionally, the
Holden-Dodson Nursery and Tom’s Tree Place have each donated trees
towards the project.
May-July, 1982 – One day each month members pitched in help
landscape the Mast-White House under the direction of Jim Harris, a
landscape architect who also served on the Society’s board.
October 14, 1982 – Dr. and Mrs. English held a reception in their
home to help raise funds for the Mast-White House Restoration
1982-1983 Board Members:
David Murrah, President
February 10, 1981 – The 2nd annual
meeting of the LHS was hosted by First Federal Savings and Loan at
its downtown office. The Society presented awards of excellence to
First Federal for the firm’s leadership in adaptive reuse in the
downtown sector. Also honored was Mrs. Nancy Brownwell for her
efforts to promote Lubbock’s history through the publication of
her new book, Lubbock: A Pictorial History. Featured speaker for the
meeting was Bob Nash, Lubbock television and regional historian.
May 27, 1981 – Mrs. Rita Clements, wife of Governor Bill Clements,
gave a presentation titled “The Importance of Historical
Restoration” at the LHS luncheon to approximately 250 people. The
event was co-sponsored by the West Texas Museum Association and the
Lubbock Chamber of Commerce. That evening the J. T. Krueger
champagne reception was attended by approximately 200, helping to
bring in more new members for the Society.
September 22, 1981 – Ms. Shara Airhart gave a slide presentation
on the history and renovation of Tara Restaurant, located at Slide
Road and 4th Street. A certificate of Excellence was awarded to
Tara, Inc., for the company’s efforts in adaptive reuse of an
architecturally significant building in Lubbock.
September 27, 1981 – an autograph party for Willard B.
Robinson’s book “Gone from Texas: Our Lost Architectural
Heritage” was held at in Barter Hall of the historic Baker
1981-1982 Board Members:
David Murrah, President
At its first annual
meeting in February, 1980, the Society awarded the Depot Restaurant its
first "Award of Excellence for Preservation Efforts."
During its first year, the
Society, in cooperation with the City of Lubbock Planning Department and
the Center for Public Service at Texas Tech University published the
booklet Architecture in Lubbock: A Guide for Identification and
THE LHS TIMELINE
"Preserving the Past to Clarify the Future"
In 1988, a tour brochure
of notable Lubbock landmarks was developed and printed for distribution to
interested citizens and tourists. For several years the Society has
sponsored exhibits at the Lubbock Arts Festival, sent representatives to
appear before various city commissions on behalf of historic preservation
issues, observed National Historic Preservation Week, purchased
preservation books for the City-County Library, and initiated landmark
designation requests for historic structures.
In 1981, as one of the
Society's first undertakings, the Mast-White House at Broadway and Ave. W
was renovated for offices. Completed in 1982, the structure is a handsome
addition to the Broadway corridor.