Home  ~  LHS Board  ~  LHS in the News  ~  LHS Timeline  ~  Past LHS Events  ~  Join the LHS   ~  Historic Lubbock

UPCOMING EVENTS AND PRESERVATION EFFORTS:

Save the date! Please join the LHS for its annual meeting on January 29th from 2-4 p.m. at the Bayer Museum of Agriculture, located at 1121 Canyon Lake Drive. The meeting’s guest speakers Pam Brink and Cindy Martin will be giving a presentation titled “The Underwood Pullman Project.” Attendees can enjoy light refreshments and visit the car, which is situated at the museum.

The LHS continues to actively seek funding to restore the historic Underwood Pullman Car. Do you like trains? Are you interested in preserving Lubbock history? If so, please consider donating to this worthy cause. Not only do we seek to preserve the car but we also want to make it available for future generations to enjoy and tour.

View the brochure of the history of the Underwood Pullman Car

For more on the LHS's activities please check out our Facebook page.

THE LATEST ON THE LHS:


Close up of the Snyder Depot, courtesy of Preservation Texas.

The LHS supports the preservation efforts underway to save the Snyder Depot from demolition. Preservation Texas has spread the word about the building's shaky situation and has created a webpage about the building's history. There is also a petition seeking more signatures which urges the permanent postponement of the demolition. Please take a moment to sign the petition and help save an important part of local West Texas history. As of October 8th 2,100+ signatures have been submitted.

On April 14-15, 2016, the Underwood Pullman Car was relocated to the Bayer Museum of Agriculture. Photos of the event can be viewed at the LHS's Flicker photo album. A big thanks to Fox 34 News (video of the move), KCBD News (video of the move) and the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal (online article) for covering the big move.

Dr. Donald Abbe, Curator of the Silent Wings Museum, served as the guest speaker for the Lubbock Heritage Society's Annual Membership Meeting on Sunday, February 21st. The meeting was held in the Formby Room of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library on the campus of Texas Tech University.

In a presentation entitled “Railroads and the South Plains Cotton Industry,” Abbe discussed the economic impact of railroads on the American West, using Lubbock and the South Plains as a model. Abbe accompanied his overview of the coming of the railroads to the vast western lands with a detailed discussion of the symbiotic relationship between our regional rail system and cotton and other commodity production. The development of that relationship is a story of growth and prosperity that continues to influence the vitality of Lubbock and the South Plains to this day.

Thank you to Mr. Westbrook of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal for this 2/15 write up on Abbe's presentation for our annual meeting.

Have you picked up your copy of our newest book? Or would you like to purchase additional copies for holiday gifts? The book, along with the "Centennial History of Lubbock," is available for purchase online in our book section.

Those who attended our fall program, “Canyon Suite: Mistake, Fiasco, or Downright Fraud,” on November 1st enjoyed presenter Dr. Jack Becker’s tale of the sale, attribution, and re-attribution of a controversial set of paintings supposedly by artist Georgia O’Keefe. In 1987, just one year after artist Georgia O’Keeffe’s death, 28 previously unknown works of art attributed to O’Keeffe were “found” in a garage in Amarillo, Texas. The watercolors, which became known as the Canyon Suite eventually sold for over $5 million. The story of their discovery, sale, resale and eventual return to the Santa Fe art dealer who named them the Canyon Suite is both convoluted and illuminating, and offers a window into how the art world works.

Those who attended our February 8th annual meeting got to hear quite a lively presentation on the history of the Nicolette Hotel and the mystery surrounding its registry book. We hope to bring you more stimulating programs this summer.

Don Lewis Kittrell, one of our dear and long-serving members of the LHS board, has passed away. His service will take place on Friday, December 19th at 2 p.m. at the First Christian Church-Disciples of Christ of Lubbock at 2323 Broadway Avenue. Our sincere condolences to Don's loved ones. He was a wonderful man and will be much missed by the LHS membership. Link to Don's obituary .

The LHS held a book signing for "Images of America: Lubbock" on December 13th, from 1:00-3:00 p.m., at the Lubbock Costco with authors Pamela Brink, Cindy Martin and Daniel Sanchez.

The History of the Godbold Center event was well attended. Much thanks to Dr. Hendrika Buelinckx and her graduate students for their most interesting presentation. See photos from the event.

The LHS is donating Lubbock Centennial book & dvd packages to the libraries of LISD, Frenship ISD and Cooper ISD in order that students have access to the written history of Lubbock.

The LHS has been notified by the Lubbock Area Foundation that we will receive a $10,000 grant from their Charitable Fund next June to go towards preserving the historic Underwood Pullman Car. The grant comes courtesy of the E. Jay Matsler Trust. Before his passing Jay was a long time member of the LHS and had served on our board. We are most grateful to him and the Lubbock Area Foundation for this wonderful grant.

RECENT EVENTS: 

On Sunday, May 31st, the LHS hosted a program on the history of the Texas Tech Home Management House. Photos from the event can be viewed here.

Attendees of the Claude tour had a great time. The LHS would like to extend its warm thanks to the Tom Novak, Montie Goodin, and staff of the Armstrong County Museum and the Goodnight Historical Center for being such gracious hosts to our tour group. A good time was had by all!

Pictured above is Montie Goodin, one of the speakers to our group while at the Goodnight Historical Center. Photos from the trip can be viewed here.

Save the Godbold! On Tuesday afternoon, March 25th, the LHS held a press conference in the parking lot of the Godbold Building to support the Save the Godbold Campaign. The LHS is very concerned about the destruction of yet another historic structure in Lubbock. The Godbold Center, formerly the Plains Clinic and the original St. Mary’s Hospital, is in the process of being sold. The prospective new owner is considering tearing the structure down and replacing it with a high-rise hotel. Read more of the press release. Pictured above is LHS President Pam Brink speaking to reporters about the long history of the building and why it is worth saving. Behind her, concerned Lubbock citizens hold up signs to show their support for saving the center. Photo by Lonnie Wheeler.

More images from the event are posted on our Facebook page. On March 26th, KFYO interviewed Gretchen Scott, our Treasurer, about our goal to save the historic building. The interview can be heard here on KFYO's website.

The Save the Godbold! webpage offers tips on ways Lubbockites can show their support for this project.

The event was covered by several local media outlets. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal covered the press conference with a story titled "Lubbock Historical Society challenges Isom, enters 'Save the Godbold' campaign," Everything Lubbock.com ran a story title "Lubbock Residents Rally to 'Save the Godbold'," and the Daily Toreador's headline read "Residents gather to save iconic building." 

Cindy Martin was the guest speaker at the LHS's annual meeting on March 2nd. Her presentation "Greetings from Lubbock: A Post Card History" was a fun look at the history of postcards using the city of Lubbock as the theme. The event was held at the Legacy Event Center at 1500 14th Street in Lubbock, Texas, and we had a good turn out despite the nasty weather.

Our book signing event at the historic Chaulk House/Rivendell on November 17, 2013, was very well attended. All three authors were on hand to sign copies of Images of America: Lubbock (pictured on the right) and a great time was had by all.

The historic Landwer-Manicapelli House, which has been approved for repairs, was a topic of discussion at last week's city council meeting. Read more about the project.

In July, LHS members participated in a wonderful walking tour of the murals in Hale Center, Texas. Pictured below are some of the eager art and history enthusiasts  gathered to begin the mural walking tour. More photos from the mural tour can be viewed here.


PREVIOUS LHS SPONSORED EVENTS: 

The Lubbock Heritage Society was Big Spring bound! On Saturday, June 22, 2013, we headed out for an enjoyable road trip to Big Spring to visit the historic Settles Hotel where we ate an early lunch before touring the newly renovated hotel. Other activities on the schedule included a bus tour of Big Spring State Park, a tour of the Heritage Museum, and a guided tour of the Potton House, circa 1901.  Photos from the trip can be viewed here.

The LHS's spring annual meeting was met with a large turnout.  The event was held on Sunday, February 17, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. in the Formby Room of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library. Following the business portion of the meeting, Dr. Robert Carr, retired Lubbock physician, presented a program on “History in Our Own Back Yard.” The program touched on such little known events as the Yellow House Canyon Battle and was infused with historical information on Buffalo Springs, Ransom Canyon, the Indian Truce site, the Coronado campsite, the Texas Ranger camp, the McKenzie vs Quanah Parker Battle site, Camp Supply and more. This program served as a reminder that this area is very rich in history. Event photos

The LHS's autumn program was held at St-Paul's-on-the-Plains Church at the Lubbock Garden and Arts Center. The "Haunted Lubbock Event" was well attended and everyone had a great time listening to Rob Weiner and Heather Henry's stories. View photos.

On Saturday, August 18th, the LHS hosted a $10 luncheon event at the Harvey House in Slaton, Texas, starting at noon. Guest speaker, Jolene, gave an excellent and often humorous talk about the important historic piece of railroad history and her family's connection to the Harvey House chain. Afterwards, a tour of the structure followed, with Jolene on hand to give a personal tour and answer any questions attendees had. The turnout for the event was wonderful, exceeding our maximum number of 50, and included a tasty meal of cornbread, beans, baked ham, salad, potato salad, peach cobbler with ice cream and tea. Photos from the event


Lubbock, the Largest City on the South Plains

In 1890 local citizens founded Lubbock. The town grew slowly at first, but after 1909, when the Santa Fe Railroad arrived, the city expanded, reaching a population of over 4, 000 people in 1920. Continued growth followed, and in 1952, when workers found a 16th century Spanish dagger in the alley behind the Coca-Cola Bottling plant at 16th Street and Texas Avenue, the population stood at 70,000 inhabitants.

Lubbock, with a population of 210,000 in 2009, sits in the heart of a huge agricultural region, the Llano Estacado, a high, flat plateau with rich soils and until recently abundant water supplies. Indeed, the availability of water in part encouraged various Indian peoples to camp in the area around the future site of Lubbock and they in turn helped to determine the routes of Spanish expeditions, including that of Francisco Vazquez de Coronado  in 1541, across the region. Eventually, such important water courses as Yellow House and Blackwater draws led to permanent settlement at Lubbock.


The Federal Building is one of downtown Lubbock's architectural treasures, the beautiful period woodwork of its top-floor courthouse now in danger of destruction from a leaking roof.

Through the years, such settlement brought farmers, businessmen, and townspeople to Lubbock. The people, especially, but in addition agricultural, educational, and medical expansion represent keys to the city's economic growth and to its development as a regional transportation and marketing hub. And, in 2009, a short century after its incorporation, Lubbock remained not only the largest city on the South Plains but also one that could trace its roots through a deep past.

~by Paul Carlson for "Medieval Southwest: Manifestations of the Old World in the New. Texas Tech University, 2009"

Donate to the restoration of the Underwood Pullman Car

Historic Preservation Resources

Interested in historic preservation? The LHS has a list of local, state and national resources available, including books for sale written by our own members. Click here.

Our newest book pictured below is now available for purchase. KYFO interviewed one of the book's authors, Pam Brink, about the preservation of Lubbock's history. The interview can be heard here.

Press release with more information on the book and its authors.

"It is better to preserve than repair; it is better to repair than restore; it is better to restore than reconstruct." ~ National Trust for Historic Preservation

A new book about the South Plains Army Airfield by Donald R. Abbe was released on 4/28/14. To purchase the book directly from Arcadia Publishing go here. The book is also available on Amazon.



Welcome to the Lubbock Heritage Society's official website

The Lubbock Heritage Society began as a result of a two-year effort by the Junior League of Lubbock, Inc., to bring together those people in our community interested in preserving the city's colorful heritage. On a snowy January evening in 1979, over 90 persons attended an initial planning meeting, and two months later, the group incorporated itself as the Lubbock Heritage Society with 75 charter members. The Society also sponsored exhibits during the city's art festivals, sent representatives to appear before various city commissions on behalf of historic preservation issues, and initiated landmark designation requests for historic structures within the city.

The purpose of the Society is to discover, memorialize, encourage, promote, maintain, and support the preservation of the history, cultural heritage, and architecture of Lubbock, Texas, and the surrounding area.

The Lubbock Heritage Society is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with full financial accountability. We are happy to accept your donations, which are tax-deductible according to IRS guidelines. Thank you for your help!

Your gift to the Lubbock Heritage Society aids historic preservation in our community!


How you can make a difference in your hometown:

Since the founding of the Lubbock Heritage Society, members have given generously of their time and talents to help preserve Lubbock's most endangered historic assets. Join us now!

Things you can do right now:

  • Writers are needed to gather content for the LHS newsletter and other organizational resources.

  • Photographers  are needed to help build a photo album of local sites for our website.

  • Suggest program ideas.


Most endangered buildings in Lubbock
(in no particular order):

The Old Lubbock County Jail, 811 Main Street. The structure is Art Deco style and was constructed in 1931. The architect was S. B. Haynes.

The Kress Building, 1109 Broadway. The structure was constructed in 1932 and is listed as a the National Register property. The architect was E. F. Sibbert.

The Dairy Barn on the campus of Texas Tech University was constructed in 1925 and is listed as a National Register property.  It received a new roof in 2012. More information on this historical structure can be found the Texas Tech University Archives' blog site.

The Davis-Benson House, 1724 Main Street. The bungalow style home was constructed in 1911. The architect was M. L. Waller. It was being renovated in 2012.

Liff Sanders Elementary School, 610 3rd Street. The structure is renaissance revival style and was constructed in 1911. The architects were Peters & Haynes.

The Godbold Cultural Center, 2601 19th Street. The structure was originally the Plains Hospital and Clinic. It currently serves as a the location for Cafe J and Chrome.


Historic Lubbock structures that have been saved and renovated (or will be renovated) for re-use:

The Pioneer Hotel, 1204 Broadway. The structure is renaissance revival style and was constructed in 1926/1929. The architect was the firm of Sanguinet-Statts & Hedrick. It was renovated in 2012 by McDougal Companies and has been turned into condominums. Link to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's article on the building's transformation.

The Landwer-Manicapelli House in north Lubbock's Yellowhouse Canyon is a Spanish colonial style stucco structure. It is currently under renovation by the City of Lubbock.

    The Myrick-Green Building, 1211 Avenue J. The structure is renaissance revival style and was constructed in 1927. The architect was the firm of Sanguinet-Statts & Hedrick. The building, along with the Cobb Building, was purchased by the Reagor-Dykes Auto Group and renovated for use as office space in 2013. Link to EverythingLubock.com story on the buildings renovation.

    The Old Federal Building, 800 Broadway. The structure is classical revival style and was constructed in 1932. Update: the building has been purchased and its new owners are planning to restore and repurpose the facility. Stay tuned for more on this exciting turn of events.

     

Lubbock Heritage Society, P. O. Box 5443, Lubbock, Texas 79408 (806) 392.4949, LubbockHeritageSociety@gmail.com