|Home ~ LHS Board ~ LHS in the News ~ LHS Timeline ~ Past LHS Events ~ Join the LHS ~ Historic Lubbock|
The members of the Lubbock Heritage Society invite you to join them in rediscovering our city's past. Ours is a young community with our settlement roots dating only to the late 1890s. Many of our historical sites already have become the victims of a bulldozer or wrecking ball. With your help, the Society can save the valuable historical sites that are remaining.
Caption: Decorative columns on a Texas Tech University structure.
Below are a few of Lubbock's historic sites, many of which have been featured on our historical tours and in panel presentations in the past. The LHS also published this double sided map (PDF file) with fine line drawings featuring some of these structures.
A. B. Davis House (1911)
Texas Technological College Dairy Barn (1925), Texas Tech University campus - on the National Register of Historic Places
W. D. Benson House (1909), 1300 block of Avenue K
Mast-White House (1925), 2301 Broadway
Federal Building and Post Office (1932)
Isham Tubbs Home (1908), Homestead Street
Tubbs Home, 602 Fulton Avenue - on the National Register of Historic Places
Warren Bacon Home (1915), 1802 Broadway
Pioneer Hotel (1926), 1204 Broadway - The structure is renaissance revival style and was constructed in 1926/1929. The architect was the firm of Sanguinet-Statts & Hedrick. It was being renovated in 2012.
Fort Worth & Denver South Plains Railway Station (1926), 1801 Avenue G - on the National Register of Historic Places
Old Lubbock County Jail (1931), 811 Main Street - The structure is Art Deco style and the architect was S. B. Haynes.
Old Federal Building (1932), 800 Broadway - The structure is classical revival style.
The Landwer-Manicapelli House in north Lubbock's Yellowhouse Canyon is a Spanish colonial style stucco structure. It was built by Texas Technological College zoology professor M. Frederic Landwer in 1936. It was purchased after WWII by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Manicapelli and was acquired by the city of Lubbock in 1972. The City voted to repair in the structure in their October 2012 meeting. A brief history of the structure [PDF file] was written by Sarah Barwinkel of the City of Lubbock's Planning Dept. in 2009.
The Myrick-Green Building (1927), 1211 Avenue J. The structure is renaissance revival style and the architect was the firm of Sanguinet-Statts & Hedrick.
Kreger Home (late 1920s), 3105 20th Street
Lubbock High School, 19th Street - on the National Register of Historic Places
Kress Building (1932), 1109 Broadway - The structure is on the National Register of Historic Places and the architect was E. F. Sibbert.
Liff Sanders Elementary School (1911), 610 3rd Street. The structure is renaissance revival style and the architects were Peters & Haynes.
Casa del Gallo y Serena (1940), 3105 20th Street
Tara West (1941), 4th street & Slide
Lubbock Women's Club (1941), 2020 Broadway
1901 29th Street
1707 33rd Street
South Plains Food Bank, 2201 16th Street
2314 17th Street
St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 1510 Avenue X
Lubbock Lake Site Archaeological District - on the National Register of Historic Places
Bacon House, 1802 Broadway - on the National Register of Historic Places
Snyder/Martin/Chalk Home, 2701 19th Street - on the National Register of Historic Places
Holden House, 3107 20th Street - Known as "Casa Grande," it is the oldest of a group of Pueblo Revival style homes and apartments building by Dr. William Curry Holden, who was a professor at Texas Technological College. The adobe residence is the earliest and best example of the Pueblo Revival style in Lubbock and one of only a few houses of this style and construction in the Texas South Plains region. On the National Register of Historic Places.
2020 Main Street - a two-story, Four-Square house with two garage apartments and a coach house, this structure is a good example of the Four-Square style that served as a precursor to Frank Lloyd Wright's Prairie Style architecture. The style was very popular in the 1920s when North Overton was being developed. Lubbock has, at most, only five of these structures left.
1807 and 1809 Main Street - Classic Bungalows (circa 1926) representing the architectural style fashionable when North Overton was first developed. These houses were built by the neighbor developer Dr. Overton and designed by Peters & Haynes Architects.
1807 10th Street - The Cape Cod Style home built around 1930 is a one-story, side gabled structure that serves as an example of a style very popular in the 1920s and 1930s. Inspired by a revival in New England architecture with colonial flourishes, the Cap Cod Style was an inexpensive way to echo the look of Colonial Revival. The structure represents the impetus of upwardly mobile families to add style to their need for practicality.
1901, 1903, 1905, and 1907 10th Street - These structures are all Bungalows built around 1924. J. H. Felton resided in one of them in 1928. He was manager of the colleections department of the Lubbock Sanitarium. All of these houses are in their original condition and represent a very important part of the architectural heritage of the city. The structures at 1901 and 1903 10th Street have been, unfortunately, demolished. The Bungalows of 1905 and 1907 10th Street are still standing.
2007 and 2009 10th Street - The Concrete Block Houses are rare and unique examples of a very unusual application of concrete block construction. Built around 1900, they are thought to be the oldest structures in the neighborhood. Indeed, these structures may very well have been farm houses in place when Dr. Overton purchased the land to develop North Overton, and the concrete blocks were probably made on site. Besides their architectural value as Victorian Style structures done in concrete block, the stone detailing, pattern of shingles, foundation blocks, and the double-pitched hip roofs are all features that make these houses architecturally unique and worth preserving.
2406 9th Street - This two-story house has arched gables, original Victorian-Style siding, and second-floor, diamond-paned windows. This stately house is a beautiful example of the Colonial Revival Style as it was developed in Lubbock, The arched gables add a very unusual and dramatic flourish to the structure.
2415 8th Street - This two-story, multifamily residence with brick veneer and cross-gabled roof was built around 1935 and served as quite a fancy boarding house in its early days. The first floor porch has brick columns and arch. The second floor porch has wood columns and wood balustrade. The structure was puchased by private owners and moved, with great fanfare and difficulty, to the country to be the family residence.
2406 8th Street - The Round House was built around 1950 and is significant for its architectural uniqueness. The house is completely circular and the roof slopes slightly toward the center where there is a round roof-cap. The entrance porch is curvilinear and has arched fenestrations. The house has five bedrooms upstairs and two bedrooms downstairs, two living rooms, and two kitchens, all running on the outside edge of the circle. Built by Mrs. W. B. Hendricks because she feared tornadoes, the house withstood the 1970 tornado with the loss of only a few tiles from the roof. In the 1980s, the Avalanche-Journal ran an article on tornadoes and featured this house as a significant survivor of the 1970 disaster. Alas, the Round House was demolished. It was at the center of redevelopment plans, and the LHS was given no hope for its preservation from the outset of our efforts.
2007 5th Street - The LHS moved this charming Queen Anne/Victorian-Style home to South Overton and restored it for resale as a family residence.
|Lubbock Heritage Society, P. O. Box 5443, Lubbock, Texas 79408 (806) 392.4949, LubbockHeritageSociety@gmail.com|